Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What Do I Read? Funny, Midlife, Moms

Continuing the hunt for blogroll optimization, here is the next section of my Reader, decipherable if you squint. I think.


Funny (I have a "Funny" category but it doesn't fit in the screen shot)
Many blogs are funny but this category is for what might be called concept blogs, i.e. I don’t care who writes them, I like the concept, and they are good for a laugh or something. I read F*** You Penguin (from my college-aged son), Indexed, and the Tiny Art Director, the hysterical sayings of a little girl to her illustrator father, which makes me laugh until milk comes out my nose.

Midlife

Midlife is a tough one for me. I am, after all, if I am lucky and live to be 104, in midlife. But I find a lot of “midlife” blogs approach life or experience life differently than I do. I don’t knit. Or crochet. I like my garden and the names of birds in them to be a little mysterious. I don’t want life coaching. I want to laugh and I want to feel compassion and I want to be surprised. Twenty Four At Heart lives in Orange County, had a bad automobile accident that has her in physical therapy for years, and is so brazen that as High WASP I couldn't use her post from today in my screen shot but will read her stuff happily... Penelope Trunk I have followed since 2000 when she wrote a column and I was in a dot.com. She is brilliant and writes about work in a way that doesn’t make me throw up. I Need A Martini Mom writes about cute things kindergarteners say, while Midlife Musings, um, muses. If you know of a midlife blog on traveling through the sub-Sahara, that might be about right. For me.

Moms

OK now wait. Some if not all of those women in Midlife are mothers. What’s with the second category? The Moms category is for women still in the eye of the maternal storm. Where what they care about most is their kids. Where they are still interested in whether kids sleep and what they eat and what to do about thumb-sucking and nursing and candy. I am past that time and to read these words makes me ache both remembering how hard it was and in sorrow that it’s over. So I read Pioneer Woman. I think of her more as Dickens than a mom. I read nienie because it reminds me that life is sweet. Maybe there are other mothers out there I should know too.

Again, any and all suggestions for widening my perspective are welcomed

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Words and Steel said...

Some parenting blogs that rock my socks off (and no, I have no plans on having children soon but there was a brief moment of... and it's passed)

Straight from the Bottle- she's an author and parent to two of the cutest kids on the planet. Very funny, insightful, etc.

Cry It Out: Memoirs from a Stay at Home Dad- from the man's perspective. He is just plain hilarious.

April 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Words and Steel said...

I will resist the urge to correct my grammar in the above post. But it will bother me, oh, it will.

April 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the linky love! I so hope you don't regret it since my post today is a little "out there" even for me! I debated even writing it, but I think any subject is doable with humor. Or so I tell myself! ; )

April 1, 2009 at 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. You might check my blogroll as I've got lots of midlife bloggers there. Thanks!

April 1, 2009 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger LPC said...

Sweet T, I am a huge grammar policewoman but where oh where is your error? At a guess, should have been It has passed vs. it's passed? But that is a only a wild guess....

April 1, 2009 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger Words and Steel said...

"I have no plans for having children soon, but there was a brief moment of... and it's passed."

April 1, 2009 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

You need to read Maggie Mason, http://www.mightygirl.com/, who is my all time favorite blogger, period. She's a mom, but that's hardly the point. Also: Finslippy. http://finslippy.typepad.com/ Because she can write, full stop.

April 1, 2009 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Bookworm said...

I'm a bit late to the table with my comment, but THANK YOU for the linky love! :) It is much appreciated. Now, back to my blog to think of more musings. LOL

April 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A couple more suggestions for you: Swearing Mother at http://brummiemum.blogspot.com , and Gramps at http://oldbot.blogspot.com . Enjoy!

May 5, 2009 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Spending Christmas catching up (really catching up), try 2 of my favorites, bitterbuthappy.wordpress.com and mynext50.blogspot.com

December 25, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

I thoroughly enjoy your comments. If you find this form is broken, my apologies. Please email me and I will rage against the machine.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home