Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Fierceness Of Flowers

The reputation of flowers, in my opinion, is deeply flawed. Think about it. Even the term, flowery, means delicate, ornate, soft. Have you looked at any flowers in their natural state lately? My roses almost killed me over the weekend. My arms were marked with punctures as though tiny pipes had blown poison darts at me from the suburban rain forest.

I got back at those roses. I cut some branches and put them in a vase on my kitchen counter. Now I can see the thorns though the clear glass and the water. Thorns as big as my thumbnails. The flowers themselves are peach or apricot colored, but redder in the bud. The shades of flesh and blood. The open blooms are chaos, the opening buds full of promise.


Remember the next time you think of flowers that in their true habitat, their natural habitat, they are fierce beings meant to ensure the future life of their species. You should still put them on your wedding tables, hold them in your hands as you walk down the aisles if you want. But make no mistake about their real selves.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

how painfully true...

love your blog.

May 7, 2009 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Dani @ Weddings Fresh said...

i would dare say i am personally similar to these roses you mention...and of course, flowers are still fierce, just expensive. again, similar to me. :)

May 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger indigo said...

i named my daughter poppy for exactly this kind of reason; we recognise a flimsy beauty, but behind that is a seriously resilient (seed) head. it also serves as a reminder that when she struggles, it is usually her environment that is the problem rather than her habit. or, y'know, slugs.

May 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful things are always a bit prickly.

May 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Twenty Four At Heart said...

Beautiful rose! I miss gardening ... can't do it anymore w/my arm. I don't miss having my arms torn up by the thorns ... but ahh ... those roses!

May 7, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Al_Pal said...

Cool observations. :D

September 15, 2009 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger LPC said...

Thank you Al_Pal.

September 15, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

I thoroughly enjoy your comments. If you find this form is broken, my apologies. Please email me and I will rage against the machine.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home