Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Yes, I Do Know It's Tuesday

Sole purchases - a street vendor scarf and a pair of glasses from the MOMA
I got back from New York Sunday night. Today is Tuesday. The plane from JFK was delayed two hours, so I arrived home past midnight. Yesterday, Monday, I had to stare into space. Stare into space and look at my rather random and sparse photographs. Turns out that one can't put New York City into a lightbox and move its parts around like shoes. "Hey, you, you massive office building, could you please shove on over next to that tree?" And, although the Sartorialist has figured out how to ask permission for photos of the stylishly dressed in large cities, I'm not quite yet up to, "Hey you, lady, dressed so fabulously, could you stop right there and turn your shoulders to the left?" So I've been sorting pictures. And thinking. It looks like I'll have four posts. First, a review of the Crosby Street Hotel and a couple of budget alternatives I know of. Second, Walking Some Of The Vast Isle That Is Manhattan, And, The Style Of Its Streets. Third, Window Shopping On Broome Street In Soho. Fourth, The Night I Wore My Louboutins To The Mark Hotel Bar. All subject to change, as I claim middle-aged privilege to remember something I have for the moment forgotten. I do want to make sure not to disappoint anyone if I can avoid it. High WASPs hate above all else to disappoint, although, of course, it's unavoidable if you live past the age of 3. So let me set context. This was not a trip of enormous sums dispensed in Fifth Avenue boutiques, or even hours spent looking over mirrored and scented countertops. There was a lot of walking. Huge quantities of pizza. More glitter from the sky and light reflected in windows than from gems. Works of art that you always forget are not just postcards. And, on my face at least, an enormous, almost perpetual, smile. So I've been thinking. Thinking and eating lettuce non-stop. Turns out Californians are far more committed to lettuce than the rest of the country. On the other hand, Sweet Pea Soup With Parmesan Foam at Jean-Georges Vongerichten's restaurant at the Mark Hotel was delicious. Talk to you all tomorrow. Thanks in advance for your forbearance. *And by the way, my son turns 20 today. Have a very happy birthday honey.

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger JMW said...

Can't wait to hear more about the trip to New York!

April 27, 2010 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Someone said...

As a former east-coaster who will be transforming into a west-coaster in the not too distant future...I would just like, for the record, to acknowledge publicly my lifelong commitment to good lettuce.

Even when, due to my mother's limited interest in providing more than convenience basics and the late mid-century grocer's limited produce bin, I knew not about lettuce beyond the boring Iceberg, I was still into leaf appreciation.

April 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger Suburban Princess said...

I am looking forward to your NYC posts!

April 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger LPC said...

Thank you Princess and JMV, I will do my best. And Someone, I highly appreciate your lettuce commitment. Sign of high intelligence, clearly:).

April 27, 2010 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger CDS said...

Sounds like it was a fun trip! Looking forward to reading more about it.

April 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We also just returned from NYC, enjoying the stay at the Michangleo Hotel, which is a perfect spot, a perfect location, and affordable,friendly, and has lovely sized rooms. We did the Highline and ate at Locanda Verde which was fabulous!

April 27, 2010 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Barbara von Enger said...

Have not been to New York in over eight years. Yes. I know. That is far too long. I enjoyed reading this post about your stay in the big apple;-)

April 27, 2010 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Henley on the Horn said...

I can hardly wait to hear more about your trip!!! It sounds like it was fabulous! Did you have any John's pizza?

April 27, 2010 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Belle de Ville said...

Oh the sweet pea soup...I can't wait to read more about the food!

April 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Princess Freckles said...

I can't wait to read all about your trip! And Happy Birthday to your son. :)

April 27, 2010 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I am looking forward to reading all 4 posts. The opening picture of todays posting is perfect. (the angle - somewhat down to earth). Maybe you can mention in the hotel-posting how many nights you stayed there.

The whole world produces about 23.5 million tons of lettuce. You are in good company.

April 27, 2010 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Semi Expat said...

Am so looking forward already to your 'In a New York frame of mind' posts! and p.s. love the glasses too, x

April 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger Duchesse said...

Feel free. About the posts and everything else.

April 27, 2010 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Very excited for your upcoming posts!! xoxo

April 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Loretta a/k/a Mrs. Pom said...

It sounds as though you really found your groove in the city. My favorite times are when we get up extra early and take the dogs in and walk around Central Park and just find a place to have coffee and sit and stare. I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

April 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Can't wait! I love scarves...and WASP life...Happy Birthday to your son!

April 27, 2010 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger K said...

Thank you for sharing your NYCity experiences with us. I look forward to reading them - you are a good observer and writer.

April 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I look forward to reading about your trip...the words "parmesan foam" suggest all kinds of fascinating decadence!

I must add that my few visits to California were made more memorable by the quality of the produce. Nowhere else can one find such an abundance of flawless lettuces!

April 27, 2010 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Buckeroomama said...

Happy birthday to your son. 20 is more a milestone than 18 was. For me, it was. :)

April 28, 2010 at 5:17 AM  
Blogger Maria | Vintage Simple said...

I have a huge crush on NYC. And Alicia Keys, for that matter.

That's so wonderful, Lisa..! It all sounds fabulous. Were you there for the big wedding?

xoox,
-maria

ps: Happy belated birthday to your son.

April 28, 2010 at 5:50 AM  
Blogger Maureen@IslandRoar said...

OH, can't wait to hear more. The ideal NYC trip always involves lots of walking; the best people watching can happen that way. Can't wait to hear more! And Happy B-day to your boy!

April 28, 2010 at 6:04 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

You can never have too much pizza! And Happy Birthday LPC's son!

April 28, 2010 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

"Hey you, lady, dressed so fabulously, could you stop right there and turn your shoulders to the left?" - I wouldn't have minded ;-)

It will be so interesting to hear about your trip, since I was there for about the same length of time at the same time.

Happy 20th Son of LPC!

April 28, 2010 at 8:14 AM  
Blogger cara said...

Happy birthday little one!

"This was not a trip of enormous sums dispensed in Fifth Avenue boutiques, or even hours spent looking over mirrored and scented countertops. There was a lot of walking. Huge quantities of pizza. More glitter from the sky and light reflected in windows than from gems. Works of art that you always forget are not just postcards. And, on my face at least, an enormous, almost perpetual, smile."

Ditto. Without the Louboutins.

April 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger What Kate Wore said...

We cannot overstate the importance of lettuce. Especially on the road! So glad you had a good trip, and loving all of the posts!

Hope your weekend is outstanding!
tp

April 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

I thoroughly enjoy your comments. If you find this form is broken, my apologies. Please email me and I will rage against the machine.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home